OK, we are back

Description of your first forum.
nestey1
Site Admin

OK, we are back

Post by nestey1 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:53 am

This is tangent.

The person we should be thanking most is Robert who owns Eskimo North, the ISP we now live on. The forum install was supposed to be a cake walk, but there were changes to the programming language it sits on, so it was a slight nightmare. He pulled some all nighters getting us up. He also gave us a great rate as we are non-profit. $168 for *FIVE* years!!! That other place wanted $50 a month! We have two domain names: austeremedforum.com and austeremedforums.com. I have not pointed the second one at eskimo's name servers yet. Think I got them for 3 years each.

If you need a internet site or know anyone that does, please recommend Eskimo North!

I did get contact info for pine.nl but have not contacted them yet. My bad! I'm a night owl so Holland is awake and working when I'm usually asleep. With luck we will get our data back and a re-direct from the old domain name to our new one, so our users back.

RR runs the forum. If you have technical issues, contact me.

We do need to set up backups so we don't loose everything again.
We can get a wiki if there is a desire to migrate the book project over.
I was thinking there might be interest in video classes, we could do streaming live, but push archives off to vimeo or youtube as disk and bandwidth is expensive.
We can have picture and video links now. They will embed in your posts.
File area is doable.
We need to set up private and public forums again, but lets wait till we hopefully get our data back.
Other ideas? We have a brand new site. What do you want to do with it?

Craig and pa4ortho, we'd like to tap you as backup site owners. I'll introduce you to Robert, get you the top level password and all the info to take ownership and redirect the DNS records. Also get you set up to receive e-mailed full site backups. Can you send me gpg keys?

Happy holidays all!,

-t

nestey1
Site Admin

Re: OK, we are back

Post by nestey1 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:35 am

Do we want our member base back?

in 15-16 years we got roughly 800 registrations. Many are long gone. Those that post are basically here, now. On the down side we have spiders bots and spammers. On the upside the wed site address is in the second edition of the book and all over the refs of the Improvised medicine book.

what we had was mostly survivalists that didn't contribute. I'm thinking we should cast a wide net reaching out to organizations that do austere medicine and offer each their own forum here. mil medics, relief workers, oil platform, exploration medics, wilderness S&R, DMAT and so on.

thoughts?

-t

austerenurse

Post by austerenurse » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:19 pm

I agree. As soon as we get the backbone structure sorted out it is time to recruit and spread the word about this great community. I think the community you mentioned is exactly the group we want to tap.

AN

BoonDoc

Post by BoonDoc » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:54 am

nestey1 wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:35 am
I'm thinking we should cast a wide net reaching out to organizations that do austere medicine and offer each their own forum here. mil medics, relief workers, oil platform, exploration medics, wilderness S&R, DMAT and so on.
Spot on, mate. I am not a survival medic even though I did study under Tom Brown Jr and even worked at his NJ school. Survival medicine is such a small piece of the pie. What I have seen on this forum over the past eight years is beneficial for all medical professionals.

I am grateful the we have named this as an Austere Medicine forum. It will not scare off the right wingers nor offend the left wingers. It will be applicable to all of us here in the EU and worldwide.

May the great conversations begin........

nestey1
Site Admin

Post by nestey1 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:53 am

Read a bunch of Tom Browns books growing up. Wanted to go to that school, but never did. Went to B. O. S. S. instead. Kicked my ass!

I have been trying to contact pine.nl with no success so far. Just got off the phone after a hour long conversation with my telcom provider. Very interesting conversation. Anyway, when I call I keep getting "we're sorry but that number is currently not available" Could you be more vague?
Is this:
Your service plan does not allow you to make international calls. - MAYBE? <= solved! Cell no, landline yes!
The number you dialed is busy - MAYBE?
Some A-Hole in a naval destroyer dragged the ocean floor w/ a anchor and took out that FO cable - MAYBE?
The com channel is saturated, try again later - MAYBE?
The business went under and the number is disconnected - MAYBE?

We have a lot of uncertainty here. Our old site was hosted under the syrene.net domain. This is hosted by pine.nl. Pine.nl is the technical contact. Syrine.net seems to be a hosted site of theirs. Just like austeremedforum is a hosted site of eskimo.com. Getting our data back is going to take some serious diplomacy. Getting a e-mail for flipper would be progress. Hopefully he didn't go hiking in Syria, Iran or N. Korea... His hosting us for 16 years may have violated their TOS. Anyone read Dutch? How about German? They are close. We really do not know what happened or why. What we do know is that firm has 16 years of our data on it's servers and backup tapes and we want it back. Specifically:
Medtech.syrene.net/forum
Medtech.syrene.net/archive
We want a tar ball of each.

Robert, Our ISP owner and host has researched and knows how to convert the old message forum data to our current one and is willing to do this. It's a 3 step process, so kind of a pain. He's willing to do it if we have the data.

We also want a CNAME redirect from medtech.syrene.net to austeremedforum.com/ but not right away.

Pine.nl might want a fee to recover this or we could bribe them. Lets ask for free before bringing this up but should it come to that what are we willing to pay? And yeah, a reasonable gratuity wouldn't be out of line. Extortion would!

OK, so where to from here...

The number I have for them is: +31(0)88 733 13 37

I am told that I should not enter the "(0)" as I have been doing. International phone operators ROCK! Wanna buy one of them lunch and pick their brain!

If you are in the USA, you preference that string by "011" to get a international call circuit. In NZ, it's "00", they did not know the prefix for Kosovo :(

+31 is the country code for Holland/Netherlands. Just loose the "+"

I have an account with Verizon, and am told that international rates are as follows:
land line: 10 cents a min
cell: 35 cents a minute
They also have international plans that for $19 a month will give you 300 minutes a month and can be cancelled any time.

There website contact form is here: https://www.pine.nl/contact/
naam = name
Bedrijfsnaam = your business. Enter Medtech
E-mailadres = obvious
Telefoon = obvious
Ik heb een vraag over: = select Managed Hosting from the pull down

Don't be freaked out by the language barrier. Most Dutch people understand English. I have not attempted to contact them via their web form yet.

So come on members, anyone want to reach out to them? I've been trying!

In a worst case scenario, ie: they went out of business. I did put out a inquiry. Was referred to a company that does "PI" work in other countries.

-t

BoonDoc

Post by BoonDoc » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:26 am

My wife is German and can make the call to them if needed. Let us know what needs to be done.

night driver

Post by night driver » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:07 pm

Recommend at least contacting AESOP at Hogwarts for some cross pollination....

If that is part of the goal..

Just a thought from the gadfly.