Wilderness Medicine

Description of your first forum.
james huffaker

Wilderness Medicine

Post by james huffaker » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:48 am

I read somewhere here about leaving Special Forces (amongst other things) on the other forum. www.prolongedfield care.org is run by 18-D's and other spec ops med folks, and to me represents the middle ground of wilderness medicine, that's what happens when you dump a bunch of science and medicine into the area between minimally injured/sick and dead. Extrapolating that knowledge and skill set, from the military and applying it to whatever scenario need it, be it SAR, or expedition or disaster. If it meets the definition of wilderness medicine, this is the benchmark of care provided. Take a look, they're doing amazing things way the hell past the south 40. Regards, Jim

BoonDoc

Re: Wilderness Medicine

Post by BoonDoc » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:24 pm

Agreed.

The lads at PFCare.org are pushing the boundaries of medical care in remote locations. They repost some of my blogs.

I would like to see the Austere Med Forum move forward with similar information and training.

The Survival and Austere Medicine handbook was a leap forward ten years ago. What can we do now to continue that framework?

Cheers

WolfBrother

Post by WolfBrother » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:48 am

I took the space out.

https://prolongedfieldcare.org/

[Begin_My_Opinion]
Depending on how you define Austere Medicine, a significant amount of what I saw on there would work here also.
[End_My_Opinion]
-----------------------------------------
WolfBrother

Most folks are content to be part of the Good Shepherd's flock.
Some choose to be be wolves to prey on the flock.
Others choose to protect the flock and to confront the Wolf.

I am a Sheep Dog.

james huffaker

Post by james huffaker » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:34 pm

Thank you, didn't check my link, after I posted.

My pockets don't run that deep, and neither do my certs/licenses,(and how best to fix the latter, is a topic worth discussing, as this stuff is clearly practicing without a license. I don't think PFC/ID medics/SARC's can independently practice CONUS (without going to NP/PA/Med school) though, IMNSHO, they should), but this level of knowledge, for a non-physician provider, weighs nothing, costs of training can add up, but where to find the classes/clinicals without enlisting?

WolfBrother

Post by WolfBrother » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:55 am

1973-74 I was trained up and within defined limits could diagnose and prescribe.

Then we got our first set of PA's in and they wouldn't let me do that anymore.

So, I was put in the ER till discharge.

I agree gaining the skills would be good.
The lack of Certs could be (most likely will be) an issue in a number of circumstances.

The question, at least to me, is can I stand around with my thumb up my backside when I have the knowledge to maybe keep someone alive?

Quite a quandary.
-----------------------------------------
WolfBrother

Most folks are content to be part of the Good Shepherd's flock.
Some choose to be be wolves to prey on the flock.
Others choose to protect the flock and to confront the Wolf.

I am a Sheep Dog.

james huffaker

Post by james huffaker » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:04 am

We need a doc (s) or legislation, or preferably both, that would allow for practice CONUS. It is said that wilderness medicine is perfect for disasters, I agree compared to the street version, but contend that prolonged field care provides a better higher level of care with potentially better outcomes regardless of where it's "plugged in". There is an 18-D that has a site (?) where in he talks about herbology for when the meds run out, as they eventually will scenario/resupply depending. A worthy study, don't know if it's included at the "school house", but perhaps it should be. I thing that level of practice with that level of autonomy would be a worthy, though probably the most contested sell. And the cert/licensure would need to be national if not international in it's SOP (I can dream ;) ).

james huffaker

Post by james huffaker » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:17 am

WolfBrother wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:55 am
1973-74 I was trained up and within defined limits could diagnose and prescribe.

Then we got our first set of PA's in and they wouldn't let me do that anymore.

So, I was put in the ER till discharge.

I agree gaining the skills would be good.
The lack of Certs could be (most likely will be) an issue in a number of circumstances.

The question, at least to me, is can I stand around with my thumb up my backside when I have the knowledge to maybe keep someone alive?

Quite a quandary.
If you don't act, the patient dies, you live with your inaction, but stay out of jail.

If you do act, maybe the patient lives, or not, but depending on the level of your "interventions", you'll be prosecuted for practicing medicine without a license, and as a felon, loose any opportunity for current or future licensure/certs.

Either outcome, you can be sued and rendered poor. Quandary indeed

nestey1
Site Admin

Post by nestey1 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:23 am

What do you call 100 lawyers at the bottom of the ocean?

-t

james huffaker

Post by james huffaker » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:07 pm

Depends on if you need them or not, same as LEOS. Salvation or incarceration depending.